Re: Question for all candidates: Release process

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 03:17:03PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> In my experience, trivial RC bugs on not-so important packages attract
> volunteers because it is very rewarding to close RC bugs.
<snip>
> So in my opinion, not all RC bugs are equal, and a better priority
> system would be useful to help volunteers to chose their focus.

Absolutely: not all RC bugs are equal, there are easy and hard ones.
Letting aside truisms like "they should all be fixed anyhow", the
problem is that how much they are difficult to fix depends on who
approaches them (which might well be another truism), so you can't
really prioritize bugs, for release purposes, according to how difficult
they are.

> Also, in my field, while people usually want to have the latest
> version to start with, they also do not want to change in the course
> of their analysis. I hope that the future package snapshot system will
> help us to satisfy this need. In conjunction with system image
> builders, Debian pure blends and ‘cloud computing’, it will be very
> powerful.

I don't understand what "cloud computing" has to do with your idea of
using package priorities to release differently different sub-systems
within Debian. I'm well aware that we are currently lagging behind in
the race for OS for the cloud (and we should really catch up, at least
in terms of visibility), but what it has to do with your idea?

Cheers.