Re: Question to the candidates

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> As a developer, how do you embody the spirit and culture that has made
> Debian a great operating system?

This is a very difficult question, because answering it implies that I
accept that I do embody such spirit and culture, and I find this
statement too arrogant to make it myself.

Instead, I'll say that the most important thing about Debian, for me,
is that "Our priorities are our users and free software". This line
has shaped a lot of what we do in Debian, towards making the Universal
OS.

One of the great things about our priority being "our users" is that
we don't specify which users.  Servers, desktops or embedded users;
sysadmins, engineers, websurfers or gamers, they are all "our users",
and thus we need to work real hard to make the best OS possible for
all of them at the same time.

I find this very inspiring, and it has shaped how I do my work for
Debian. Trying to have the best for everybody is hard, but I think
it's worth all the work done.

> If elected DPL, how will you inspire the same in others?

As I said in my platform, I think we should have project-wide goals.
I plan to set goals that would help Debian be even better than what it
is today, and hope to inspire more people to work on those goals.  I
don't plan to come up with these specific goals all by myself, though,
I plan to do it in consultation with the whole developer body, but I'd
make sure that these goals all had "our users and free software" as
their priority.

--
Besos,
Marga