Re: Questions for all candidates: decentralization of power

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:36:53PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 06:44:23PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
> > Is there any legitimate reason that wanna-build access should be
> > restricted to any group smaller than the entirety of gid 800
> > membership?
>
> There was.
[...snip history...]
> Of course, this bug has now been fixed: rather than using a libdb-based
> database, wanna-build is now running off a postgresql database. As such,
> it might be prudent to investigate whether giving regular developers
> read-access to that database could be doable (it might be difficult,
> given that wanna-build runs on a restricted host currently, or it might
> be simple; this is something for the wanna-build team to look into). But
> I don't think it's unfair to wait a while until all the issues have been
> dealt with before thinking about giving the developer body access to the
> database.

It was pointed out to me on IRC by a member of the Debian sysadmin team
that this has in fact already happened: buildd.debian.org, aka
cimarosa.debian.org, is not a restricted host, and the wanna-build
database is not restricted; every DD is able to access the database.

Since I'm in the set of users who has the ability to read from this
database anyway, I didn't notice; apologies for the honest mistake.

Also note that while the above is true, the DSA team tells me that
cimarosa is currently rather starved for IO; so while you can access the
database, that does not mean necessarily mean you should, unless you've
got a good reason to, since overusing it might interfere with the smooth
functioning of the buildd network (and we don't want that, right?)

Regards,

trying to fool the system.