Re: Question for all candidates: Release process

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 09:56:56PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst dijo [Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:57:13AM +0100]:
> > In my opinion, the best release we ever had (that I was a part of, at
> > least) was the Etch release process; shortly after Sarge had been
> > released, the release managers had started to regularly update the
> > project as a whole on where we were in the process, and I believe that
> > worked very very well. During the whole of the Etch release process,
> > there was never really a point in time where I felt I didn't know how
> > far away the release still was.
> >
> > It feels to me as though the frequency and/or quality of updates has
> > reduced somewhat since the Etch release, though I'll readily admit that
> > that is just a gut feeling. At any rate, I do not feel I am as
> > up-to-date as I was during the Etch release process on when the release
> > is going to happen. I don't think it's going to take more than, say,
> > half a year, though.
>
> Hmm, you got me thinking here on why this happened, as I share your
> impression. Maybe it was because the project as a whole put more care
> into the release process after the massive pain it was to release
> Sarge, a three-year-long pain we didn't want to suffer again? For
> Lenny we lost some of that push, although the release process was
> still mostly swift, with a minor slip regarding what we expected.

This is quite possibly correct.

> As for the reasons why we are not freezing yet... I think it is
> somewhat a lack of commitment to what the Release Team says, as (too)
> many people felt betrayed with the way the freeze-related
> announcements were made (a topic that has already been analized
> here).

I don't sense it that way. There was initially a bit of disappointment
among many people, indeed, but with the change of plans that was made
fairly quickly, I think the trust was restored.

> So, going back to the questioning of the candidates: Do you agree with
> this very simplistic analysis? If so, how would you push to get the
> drive and the confidence back?

To get the drive back is something that the release team needs to do. I
can work with them on that, if necessary, but I can't do it for them.

trying to fool the system.