Re: Question to all Candidates: Project Funds and donations

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 01:59:18PM +0000, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> It isn't that difficult, the only thing that needs to happen is for the
> Debian Auditor to do his/her job regularily. Of course, if we want eg.
> quarterly reports, then it might add additional burden on the various
> treasureres of the organizations holding Debian monies in trust, but a
> yearly "monies received / spent / balance" report isn't that hard.

I agree with all this, but yearly is IMO too coarse grained, especially
considering that it is the DPL which ultimately takes money decisions
and that he/she is elected yearly. If we want the report to provide some
form of control/transparency of the DPL choices, it should forcibly be
more frequent.

As I wrote before, one thing is a desiderata, one thing is what you can
get given the available work forces.  Given that you've just stepped
back from the position (which, honestly, I forgot we had), the first
obvious step is now finding a new volunteer for the position.

> That said, most of the Debian monies are in SPI, which does a nice
> monthly report already.

Yes, I'm aware of that being myself a SPI member. My main remarks on
that are:

- it is not easy enough accessible to DDs (I know, it is enough to
  become a SPI member and subscribe to the list, but I still believe it
  should be _easier_, e.g. a directory somewhere with archived .txt
  files accessible to all DDs)

- it is limited to the money we have in the SPI bank account. I'm sure
  most DDs, including yours truly, don't even know exactly how many
  different organizations we've in the world that hold Debian money

- ideally, I believe we should have a public list of our expenses on the
  web or, at the very minimum, make them available to our donors. It is
  just fair to provide something like that for a project that collects
  donations

Assuming there is enough work force and interest in the above, if
elected I will push for it.

Cheers.