Re: Results for General Resolution: Lenny and resolving DFSG violations

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 23:27 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Whatever his motives, I think Ted's demonstrably done more to further the
> cause of free software than most developers, both by making Linux more
> and more usable for over 15 years now, and for helping other developers
> work together better, such as by organising the kernel summit.
>
> I'm all for having a 100% free system, and then some, but if it comes
> down to a choice between supporting absolute freeness without exception,
> and working with folks like Ted, I'm more interested in the latter.

I'm not against working with Ted.  I completely second your remarks
above.  I simply don't think that people should have a vote in Debian if
they are not committed to following Debian's foundation documents in
their Debian work.  I do not know if Ted is such a person or not, but I
do know that he doesn't share the goal expressed in the Social Contract;
he's said as much.  If he's willing to put that aside in his Debian
work, then that's sufficient for me, and AFAICT, that's exactly what he
does.

My concern is that not everyone is like Ted.  They may share his views
about the Social Contract, but rather than put them aside and abide by
it in their Debian work, they just ignore the bits they don't like.

Thomas