Re: New section for firmware.

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:15:15PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> While I think it would be reasonable to include sourceless firmware on our
> CDs and DVDs, I don't think this is actually a very good solution to the
> problem we face:
>
> - if they're included on the official "Debian" images, they need to meet
>   Debian's definition of "free".

The point of the proposal it to change things so that can be on the official
images.

> - if the firmware are considered "free", then they can live in main.

Right, it's only for things we consider non-free.  I would even expect
some firmware to stay in non-free.

> - if the images the firmware is included on aren't Debian images, then there
>   will (presumably) still be demand for pure Debian images, and we don't
>   need to add a new archive section in order to include non-Debian stuff on
>   the images

Do you think there will still be a demand for them if d-i asks about
using that new section?

> Having two sets of images doesn't make sense to me; the CD team have already
> posted publically this cycle about the infrastructure challenges involved
> with publishing those images that they already have to accomodate, doubling
> the image count doesn't sound feasible, IMHO.

Doubling the image count seems to be the only way to do it now,
and that's what I want to avoid.

Kurt