Re: RFC: General resolution: Clarify the status of the social contract

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 08:23:27AM +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> If this vote is 1:1 then there's no point in the 3:1 requirement since
> you can just ignore them with a 1:1 vote. When we (using the term
> loosely, since it doesn't include me) voted in the constitution, surely
> the 3:1 requirement was put there for a reason.

When the constitution was ratified, it included no language at all about
amending the foundation documents.  See the links at the top of
<http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution> for the relevant document
history, and in particular <http://www.debian.org/vote/2003/vote_0003> (and
the extensive list discussion from the corresponding period) which
established the concept of Foundation Documents and the terms under which
they can be amended.