Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

On Fri, Dec 19 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> writes:

> Furthermore, by my reading of the constitution, even if a delegate
> override or a position statement clearly and obviously contradicted the
> DFSG, as long as it doesn't actually change or set aside the DFSG, it's
> still just a 1:1 majority.  Success of the GR would overturn that
> decision, even in a direction that contradicts the DFSG, because in
> practice there's no higher authority in Debian to declare that the
> decision contradicts the DFSG and a majority of developers just said, in
> effect, that it doesn't.

        This sounds like weaseling around our foundation documents. We
 won't do what the social contract says, but in out NewSpeak, we are not
 changing the SC. We are, uhhh, just going to do something else, but,
 err, the contract is valid.

        While the constitution might not prohibit this behaviour, I
 would find actually doing this very dishonest, and just plain lying.

        If we  have sunk so low as to require some entity to keep us
 away from NewSpeak, so be it, I just find that makes trusting the
 project impossible.

        manoj
--
New members are urgently needed in the Society for Prevention of Cruelty
to Yourself.  Apply within.