Re: gr_lenny vs gr_socialcontract

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 01:50:40AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Let us face it: there are always going to be bits of hardware
>  that can not be supported with free software; users might always have
>  to deal with either refraining from buying such hardware (which is not
>  always feasible), using a non-free installer,  going a more
>  inconvenient route, or using a different OS. As always, Debian is nto
>  for everyone, and our commitment to the freedom, and just not being
>  windows, means there are going to be people who can not use Debian.
>
>         I tend to come down hard on the side of not compromising my
>  principles for temporary convenience or popularity (or, if you will,
>  market share).
>
>         To paraphrase: Those who give up essential freedoms for
>  temporary convenience and popularity deserve neither.

This is something we need to agree to disagree on. There are people
who still focus on "The Universal Operating System", and who are
willing to make compromises in freedom without being willing to make a
totally non-free OS.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190