Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 09:50:29AM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Is there someone on the plane here to do what's needed with the
> secretary? If the DPL isn't willing to take any action here (and I'm
> really annoyed that despite repeated questions about it he never showed
> up in the discussion[0]), I believe I'm willing to start a GR (*SIGH*)
> about it[1].

The only constitutional way to get rid of the Secretary without his consent is
for the DPL to fail to reappoint him, which would automatically mean (since I'm
assuming that the Secretary does not go willingly) that a replacement Secretary
is selected by the Developers by way of General Resolution.  I'm not sure when
the current term of the Secretary expires, but I'd guess it'd be some time
after the next DPL election.

>     going on. Right now we see blatant power abuse, with the DPL being
>     completely OK with it. Sooo nice.

We don't, in fact, see blatant power abuse.

> [1] I know that the constitution doesn't state that we can rescind our
>     Secretary through a GR, but I would be _really_ surprised that if
>     such a GR passes, the Secretary wouldn't resign.

Doesn't it occur to you that there might be a reason why the Secretary cannot
be removed by GR or by the Leader's whim?  Given that, I would be most
disappointed if (a) the Secretary would consent to running an unconstitutional
GR vote and (b) be weak enough to submit to pressure to resign because of his
actions (assuming he himself believes he's acted within his powers).

Similarly, I am somewhat alarmed that some people consider it legitimate to
pressure the Secretary to resign, or to consider extra-Constitutional means of
removing him from office.

The correct way to deal with this is to wait until the current bundle of votes
is over, and then propose Constitutional amendments that create mechanisms for
Secretarial oversight that you'd consider appropriate.

(I personally have a proposal cooking.  As you have no doubt noticed, I have
strongly supported the current Secretary, and I continue to have faith in him -
but the current furor has exposed certain Constitutional flaws I would like to
have corrected.  The time for fixing them is not now, however.)

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä, Finland
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/