Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

----- "Steve Langasek" <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> The title of ballot option 5 is a complete fabrication on the part of the
> Secretary that has nothing to do with its text.  If option 5 had actually
> said what the title claims it says, then a different supermajority
> requirement might be in order, but that's not the case here.

"Complete fabrication" seems a bit melodramatic to me. I will agree that #5 is not as clearly worded as it could be but I don't think its being purposefully deceptive by a long shot.

I read it as stating that we assume firmwares to be under a DFSG compliant license that does not violate the GPL when linked into the kernel. The kernel is GPL and the firmwares may be under a variety of licenses that do not violate the GPL (BSD, etc). I also read #5 as implying that firmwares constitute source. None of those cases require a super majority as long as you actually believe that firmware constitutes "source" (which it may, in some rare cases).

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
ean@brainfood.com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315