Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

----- "Steve Langasek" <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> Boycotting is unlikely to prevent all ballot options from reaching the
> quorum requirements, and given the inconsistent application of supermajority
> requirements by the secretary it is possible that the vote outcome, as
> determined by the secretary, will not match what the outcome would have been
> on the same ballot with consistent supermajority requirements.

I don't see how he is being inconsistent. Honoring DFSG requirement that programs come with source shouldn't require a super-majority and neither should distributing GPL blobs if they are indeed GPL. All the other options require that we distribute software that is not DFSG compliant.

I know that some are fixated on the fact that firmware runs on "some other CPU" but I don't buy that line of reasoning. If this firmware business passes then I am going to start hunting down some MAME ROMs that have lapsed into the public domain. Those ROMs, after all, are firmware for video game machines and they run on a simulated CPU... not the "host".

I hope #1 wins and we release Lenny by distributing a proprietary firmware enabled installer out of "non-free". Its just as easy for users to download and it doesn't require us breaking our foundational documents or distorting the notion of what constitutes free software.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
ean@brainfood.com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315