Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 09:52:02PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> Does the order after FD count? If I'd rank 1 and 5 below FD, with 1
> below 5, and later both reach quorum, would my ranking of 1 below 5 be
> taken into account in the 1-vs-5 run, just as if I had ranked them both
> above FD, or not?

Yes, the Condorcet voting system compares each pair of two options,
disregarding the choices about the other options.  The only information
used from the ballot is which one is higher, not how much higher.

If people are talking about "strategic voting", it can (AFAICS) only be
about the situation where there is no clear winner (no option wins over
all other options).  When that happens, there are several ways to solve
it.  I don't really know which one we use, and I don't care either,
because it's a very rare situation.

There is one real missing piece of information on the ballot though: the
importance of a difference.  You can say "I don't care if it's option A
or B" and you can say "I like option A very much more than option B".
But you can't say "I like option A a little bit more than option B".
This should mean that in the race between A and B, A get a fraction of a
point instead of a full point.  I think it would be possible to add this
information to the ballot, but it would make voting much more
complicated, with hardly any gain.

Hope this helps,
Bas

For more information, see http://a82-93-13-222.adsl.xs4all.nl/e-mail.html