Re: Bundled votes and the secretary

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:50:20AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Honestly, at this point, I would really wish that you retired as
> secretary because there have been too many conflicts between you and
> various DD while your secretarial work shouldn't be the source of any
> conflict.

I honestly believe that the secretary cannot always avoid a conflict.
He is charged with deciding what the correct interpretation of the
Constitution is, and when there are strongly conflicting opinions among the
developers as to what the correct interpretation is, the Secretary's decision
will be a source of conflict, whatever it is.

> You just have to count the points on each side but you
> don't.

That's not the Secretary's job.  He is not a judge in an adversarial
proceeding.  (Perhaps such a job should be created, but that's a different
matter altogether.)

> You insist on deciding alone if something is a change to the
> DFSG (when the text doesn't modify it explicitely) while I believe that
> only the project at large is able to decide of something like that.

I believe Manoj is acting correctly in this.

More strongly, I believe Manoj has repeatedly shown the sort of moral courage
and sound judgment that the Secretary's job requires, and I believe it would be
a grave loss if he were to step down.  It would be a shame if he were to be
replaced by someone who counts avoiding conflict as a major part of the job.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä, Finland
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/