Re: on firmware (possible proposal)

* Steve McIntyre (steve@einval.com) [081112 16:31]:
> I think I agree with the suggestion of creating a new archive section
> for firmware - packages that are acknowledged to not meet the same
> standards as main, but checked so that we know they're still legally
> shippable by default on official installation media. I'm not sure if
> we can make that kind of change before Lenny, so I'd be happy to go
> with another exemption for Lenny and make the change afterwards.

I think that are two different issues.

We have educated our users that using stuff in "non-free" is bad, and we
should continue so. Firmware however falls into another part IMHO. So
let's be careful to not put really non-free crap into the same part of
the archive as we put stuff we need on our installation medias.

Cheers,
Andi