Re: Possible amendment for Debian Contributors concept (was: Call for seconds: Suspension of the changes of the Project's membership procedures.)

also sprach Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> [2008.10.28.0921 +0100]:
> | We thank Joerg Jaspert for exploring ideas on how to involve
> | contributors more closely with the project so that they can get both
> | recognition and the necessary tools to do their work.

The problem I have with this is that in the past, many of us have
attempted to explore similar ideas, but we couldn't do anything
about them because DAM never jumped on. Apparently, recent proposals
in this direction where blocked by Joerg, who wanted to do it
himself. Now he suddenly made a move without referring to or
honouring any of the alternative proposals that have been made.

> | We invite the DAM to further develop his ideas in close
> | coordination with other members of the project, and to present
> | a new and improved proposal on the project's mailinglists in the
> | future,

Whether such changes are within the competencies of the DAM is one
question. Whether such changes should be made by the DAM rather than
the project, is another. I would like to see this issue openly
discussed so that everyone can take part. I think a DEP would make
sense. It may not be what Joerg favours, but this is a matter that
concerns and potentially reshapes the whole project, and thus the
whole project should be able to take part.

"vista is evidentally latvian for "hen", and "perating system", that
 is, OS without the o, means "system for making eggs."  so vista is at
 least useful come breakfast time?"
                                                      -- kit la touche