Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:19, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason why those interested in supporting blob-dependant hardware
> can't make a release that includes those blobs?  As per SC #1 they can't refer
> to it as "Debian", but they can use the project's resources to build and

Because you are discriminating against hardware manufacturers if they
chose to not put flash,cpld,etc chips onboard. You aren't "helping"
freedom in any way. All you are doing is just pretending it doesn't
exist. Pretending everything is fine by hiding anything not free in a
black hole doesn't help freedom. Especially since you then banish from
debian anyone that tries to expose the non-free stuff you've been
trying to hide.

Let me understand your position: only buy hardware where the
manufacturer hides the firmware on an onboard flash otherwise you
can't run debian.