Re: Final call for votes for the debian project leader election 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:47:13 +0100, Simon Huggins <huggie@earth.li> said:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 09:39:11AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> I do not consider that remark a mistake; I do not consider it
>> inappropriate, and I do not believe that officers are supposed to be
>> robotically bland even in their official comments.  The comment was
>> made about a process that is directly related to the duties of the
>> office; it did not prejudice the current vote, and it reflects my
>> opinion on what I consider a regression in the voting process.
> [..]
>> As it stands, even my opinion that the shortening of the voting
>> period affected turnout could be wrong: sheesh, it is just an
>> opinion. Arguably, there are other factors that could explain the
>> discrepancy; though joeyh's analysis (which is the way you convince
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> people, BTW) does not contradict my feelings.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^

> This is precisely the point.  Putting your opinion in a mail you send
> as secretary isn't going to convince anyone either.

        If I had intended to convince anyone, I am perfectly capable of
 discerning and taking my own advice.

        But this was, instead, a public service message, in which I
 painstakingly (and thanklessly) compile data from previous years and
 this one about voting rates, do some statistical calculations, and
 present it, with a few sentences interpreting the voting rates. There
 was an abysmally low turnout, and this one sentence was a flip
 commentary on my opinion of the leading factor for that (the other
 being that it was an uncontroversial election). We'll see.

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:09:12 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> said:
> Which isn't to say that we still couldn't have easily done without
> those comments.

        None of this is required, really.  If a robotic announcement is
 needed, devotee is perfectly capable of sending a mail at the start of
 vote with the ballot (the listmasters have been willing in the past to
 let robots mail to d-d-a, devotee can be added).

        Technically, we can easily do without those  reminders as well.

> You've put the ways to convince people in your mail; reasoned posts to
> planet or lists for instance and you talked about GRs.  If you want to
> change it back, start a debate and then a GR.

        There is not enough data to flip-flop on the decision yet, even
 if there are enough indicators for my opinion to have formed.

        manoj
--
Bank error in your favor.  Collect $200.