Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

On  Thu, 21 Jun 2007 Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> So here's a proposal for the Debian Maintainers idea that's been floating
> around for some time now [0].

One reason[*] in favour of having such a DM category is that there
may be software developers who would be willing to package their own
software for Debian.

The advantage of these developers being DM's is that it reduces the
length of the "path-to-upstream" for the package, with consequent
advantages in the speed of bug-fixes, updates etc.

Now we often see that such developers are not fully aware of Debian's
requirements:
	* about the use of "debian/" subdirectories via a
	  separate patch rather than in the original tree,
	* some aspects of DFSG requirements,
and so on. So the initial sponsorship/mentoring contact would enable
the mentors to make these aspects known and help in fixing them. After
these issues are sorted out the software developer would easily be able
to keep the package up-to-date.

On the other hand, such developers may not have the time (especially
if the software is large and/or complex) to participate in the full NM
process. So the Debian Maintainer slot would be appropriate for them.

Regards,

Kapil.
(who is not subscribed to debian-vote).

[*] I know that this issue was been discussed earlier but I didn't see
it stated in the context of the current discussion.