Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

<snip/>
> ==== Debian Maintainers Proposal ====
>
> The Debian Project endorses the concept of "Debian Maintainers" with
> limited access, and resolves to
<snip/>

As by now only few people have participated in this thread that are
"candidates" for DM, I want to give you a personal impression of the
motivation for becoming this kind of "second class DD" (as it has been
rated several times).

I'm not a DD.  Since about one year I maintain the dblatex package, and
I have learnt a lot about packaging in special and debian in general
since then.  At the moment I'm in contact with a DD of a help needing
package about co-maintenance, thus maybe in near future I will work on
two packages.  Thus my engagement is limited, but IMHO reliable.  Same
goes for my knowledge.  I'm quite familiar with architecture all
packaging, but I'd need to learn a lot to package architecture any
packages.  At the moment there is no such package that I'm interested in
enough to dig into this area.  (This of course may change.)

Do I want to contribute to debian additionally to using it?  Sure.  It's
fun.

Do I want to become a DD, with all the required broad knowlegde (and the
amount of time needed to gain it)?  Honestly, I don't know by now.  Time
will show.  I can imagine that my involvment within debian will deepen
up to the degree that someday I apply for official developer status.  On
the other hand I can also imagine that I will stay on a reached level
for a long time without getting the urge to dig deeper.  It's a hobby
after all.  I'm progressing on my path into debian on my very own speed,
and I appreciate that keeping this personal speed is possible, that
there is no preasure either to fasten up or to abandon.

But my current status IMHO does not reflect what I have reached until
now.  Frankly, I think that I'm capable to upload new revisions of
dblatex without review of a sponsor.  If I have questions I will ask,
e.g. on debian-mentors.  And okay, I keep making mistakes (which I have
in comon with you DDs :-)), but these are reported in BTS earlier or
later, and in general I succeed in not repeating them.  IMHO DM is not
"second class", but an acknowledgement that I'm trusted to maintain
dblatex independently.

I can live with the current situation of sponsoring needed for each
upload, but it would spare my sponsor's time and it would let me acting
more independent if was an DM.  We surely can live without DMs (because
we are doing until know), but it would ease both DMs' and sponsors'
lifes and thus benefit the debian project.

Don't know if I'm alone, don't know how may non DDs with similar
interests read debian-vote (come on, speak up!), but I like this
proposal's idea very much.  Thus it's almost enough motivation to become
a DD very fast to second this proposal ;-)

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Hoenen <andreas.hoenen@arcor.de>

GPG: 1024D/B888D2CE