Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:03:50AM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
>> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
>> The average (in)competence of DDs is what makes me believe that non-DDs
>> shouldn't get to upload whatever software they would like to
>> package.
> If you're trying to get rid of all the DDs who make (frequent) mistakes,
> then I guess I should be one of the first on the chopping block.

I won't comment on that, because your performance as maintainer has
nothing to do with this discussion.

> IMO, and YMMV, the number of mistakes you make doesn't really matter
> very much, it's the amount your mistakes affect others, which you can
> minimise either by not making mistakes in the first place, or by
> fixing your mistakes afterwards. One way in which sponsorship works
> badly is that it imposes a large cost to getting the person who made
> the mistake to fix it -- they need to find a sponsor, coordinate with
> that sponsor, and the sponsor needs to independently verify the
> changes.

Sponsorship is supposed to prevent serious mistakes by letting a second
pair of eyes check the package before uploading it to the archive. This
doesn't work properly, because people are allowed to sponsor even if
they are not able to clean up their own packages.  Your proposal doesn't
fix this problem, it doesn't even acknowledge it to be a problem - it
just ignores it and allows more people to do what they want.

>> Anyway, something more constructive: I think that from a QA point of
>> view, allowing DMs to only upload packages that were once checked by
>> some trustworthy person is a lot better than your proposal.
> I'm a bit tired of dividing DDs into "trustworthy" and not, so I'm more
> inclined to just let every DD have the same level of trust.

Wait, you were the one adding all those people to the ftp-team, right?

Sorry, I believe that there groups in Debian that are too small (like
the ftp-team) and groups that are far too big (like the number of people
with full upload rights for everything).

Marc
--
Fachbegriffe der Informatik - Einfach erklärt
275: Luster-Format