Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

On Thursday 21 June 2007 19:22, Anthony Towns wrote:
> The NM process is about making new DDs -- who participate fully in
> the project, and understand and agree with its goals. Not every useful
> contributor to Debian actually wants that status -- Matthew Garrett's one
> example of a former DD who'd like to contribute to Debian without being
> a DD, and this is a way of making that more effective. Likewise there are
> plenty of people who'd like to make a small contribution to Debian without
> having to obtain the level of knowledge and experience we expect of DDs.

I'm not really convinced that we should adapt our processes to an existing DD
who gives up his rights to upload, and then later would like to get upload
rights again. If existing DD's want to upload packages, I'd recommend to them
not giving up their DD status in the first place, or use the emeritus
procedure to get back in. Why do we need this procedure to solve that?

I'm not opposed against this idea in principle, but I don't yet see a need for
it currently. If the only example that can be given to date is an ex-DD...

It would be more convincing to me if we could get some concrete data: who are
those people that are the target of this procedure? Why are current
structures (sponsorship or NM) not suitable for them? Can we get some
concrete data instead of "I know someone"?

Thijs