Re: Summary? (Or: my vote is for sale!)

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 07:53:27PM -0700, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:48:10PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > That said, the kernel team meeting on saturday evening resulted in what will
> > probably be a new proposal, and at the same time a nice summary of the
> > changes. Stay tuned for more infos.
>
> Sven, nobody besides you on the kernel team suggested that the proposed position
> statement should be submitted as a GR. Furthermore, I have explicitly explained

It would serve as summary, if nothing else. But we also had a discussion with
the DPL, who suggested a new GR which could be signed by the kernel team, the
d-i team and the RMs (signed = seconded here). I don't know why he chose not
to hold this publicly, but only with some given folk of all team, but in any
case, we need to come up with a new proposal signed up by everyone,
particularly since Don's GR is a no-op, and will not change anything.

> why I think it should *not* be submitted as a GR (mostly because it duplicates in
> part or in full the proposals already on the table).

I don't know if it is our position statement will become a GR or not, but it
should serve as explanation of how things stand, and thus it is rather urgent
to send it out to debian-vote or elsewhere, once it is confirmed, and then a
GR needs to be coined to reflect our position, since both Frederik's original
GR and Manoj's one lack a bit of clarity, which is not the case of your draft.

> For those interested, the draft of the kernel team's position statement, approved
> by all members present during Saturday's meeting, is available at:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/people/jurij/firmware-position-statement.txt?op=file&sc=1

Thanks for posting the draft, do you know what we are waiting for to send it
to -release and -boot for their confirmation of approval or comments ?

Jurij, i still think your draft is lightyears more clear and to the point than
most GRs out there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther