Re: Summary? (Or: my vote is for sale!)

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:38:44 -0700, Kevin B McCarty
<kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> said:

> As I understand what's going on, instead of having a single vote
> with all the firmware-related options laid out on the ballot, we are
> apparently going to have a series of votes about related topics (GR
> 2006/004 being the first) with only the option to vote in favor or
> for further discussion.  This defeats the whole point of Condorcet
> voting - instead of being able to rank the various proposed actions,
> voters will have to say Yea or Nay (well, Further Discussion) on
> each item.

        Then your understanding of the situation is wildly at variance
 from mine. The way I see it, we have a vote about the DFSG option #2,
 clarifying whether or not people think it applies to all programmatic
 works, or not (the actual text says programs, so I am not sure what
 the difference between programs and programmatic works is all about).

        Then we have a set of GR's about kernel firmware and etch on
 the same ballot.

        Finally, we have a resolution that the future dpl shall
 undertake a task to get people to prepare position papers, and, I
 assume, ensure that all sides are covered and everything. That has
 nothing to do with the DFSG as it stands now; and says nothing about
 etch; indeed, from a casual reading it suggests we need more time to
 make a decision, and that we wait until debconf7, and perhaps release
 etch after that?

        manoj

--
This is a test of the emergency broadcast system.  Had there been an
actual emergency, then you would no longer be here.