Re: [AMENDMENT]: Release Etch now, with source-less but legal and freely licensed firmware

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

I've previously seconded another amendment, maybe too quickly, and then
considered withdrawing the seconding because of the meeting during next
weekend and the promised new proposal.  For that other amendment, it
doesn't matter anyway since it didn't get enough seconds.

With this one, I'd be the fifth if I count right.  I am going to second
this, in order to speed up things, in case the minimum discussion period
is counted from the last second needed.  If something better (or more
consensual) comes out of this meeting, I assume this proposal would be
withdrawn, anyway.

Therefore, I hereby second this amendment:

> ,----
> |  1. We affirm that our Priorities are our users and the free software
> |     community (Social Contract #4);
> |  2. We acknowledge that there is a lot of progress in the kernel
> |     firmware issue; however, it is not yet finally sorted out;
> |  3. We assure the community that there will be no regressions in
> |     the progress made for freedom in the kernel distributed by
> |     Debian relative to the Sarge  release in Etch
> |  4. We give priority to the timely release of Etch over sorting every
> |     bit out; for this reason, we will treat removal of sourceless
> |     firmware as a best-effort process, and deliver firmware in udebs as
> |     long as it is necessary for installation (like all udebs), and
> |     firmware included in the kernel itself as part of Debian Etch,
> |     as long as we are legally allowed to do so, and the firmware is
> |     distributed upstream under a license that complies with the DFSG.
> `----

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster