[AMENDMENT]: Release Etch now, with source-less but legal and freely licensed firmware

Hi,

        I was not aware that Frederik's proposal was for the Debian
 project to give carte blanche to the kernel team to distribute
 whatever the upstream kernel has, even if it is a major regression in
 the freedom from the kernel released in Sarge.

        Indeed, not agreeing to only distribute firmware accompanied
 by a license is illegal, and we can't expect the release managers and
 ftp masters to knowingly break copyright law. Passing a GR allowing
 people to break copyright laws ought not to cut it.

        Secondly, the GR should not be about undoing the progress made
 in the kernel in Sarge and beyond, so regressing to a lesser  freedom
 seems like we are going backwards.

        I applaud the release managers for making it clear that they
 are unwilling to break the law, and that they too are opposed to the
 regression in freedom for Etch relative to Sarge.

        Now that Frederik has rejected my amendment, I am clarifying
 it, and fixing the typographical errors in the original, and formally
 seeking seconds for this amendment.

        Comments welcome.

        manoj
        The following is the full text of my Amendment

,----
`----

--
You are destined to become the commandant of the fighting men of the
department of transportation.