Re: Proposal: Recall the Project Leader

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:54:34AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I think everyone understands where I stand now, so I'll stop posting about
> this, but my agenda in this is to ask people not to be so worried about
> employment conflicts as to force strict barriers between Debian and the
> rest of life.  I spend a fair bit of effort trying to break down those
> barriers in my own life.  That direction would be the exact *opposite*
> direction from what I think is healthy and most productive for me, and my
> position on issues of this sort is far from unique at least among people
> who work for universities (those being the people to whom I've talked the
> most about this).

I completely agree, Russ.  And I work for a manufacturing company.

How would Debian benefit if I can no longer take the Bacula packages
that I'm building for my employer anyway, and upload them to Debian?
I certainly am not willing to maintain them twice, and before we
decided to use Bacula at work, the Bacula packages in Debian were in
such a mess that they had been removed from testing for months.

This is a small example of the benefit Debian derives from people
working on Debian at their job.

-- John