Re: Proposal: Recall the Project Leader

Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>>> Now, if you become the release manager, and your employer makes your
>>> compensation contingent on Debian not releasing before February of
>>> 2010, no one can NMU the release.  Theoretically, we could replace
>>> you, but we cannot fix the problem directly.

>>> Would you not agree that this affects the risk assessment?

>> If I became the release manager and some other distribution offered me
>> $50,000 if Debian doesn't release before February of 2010, the
>> situation is the same.  What you're talking about here, in my opinion,
>> is a simple

> No it isn't the same. The relation between your employer and you and
> between the other distribution and you is quite different.

> This difference should be pretty clear.

Well, apparently I'm dumb, so you're going to have to spell it out for me.

What's the difference between my employer trying to get me to do something
unethical that violates an agreement with Debian or someone else trying to
get me to do the same?  Are you focusing on the increased difficulty of
telling one's employer no?  If so, remember that you can resolve a
conflict of interest by refusing *either* party; if I can't resolve the
non-Debian issue creating the conflict of interest, I would resign the
Debian position.  This is a distinction that doesn't interfere with
resolving the issue.  (Not to mention that one's employer is far from the
only party in one's life that one may not be able to easily say no to.)

And, rather more to the point, are you comfortable poking this far into
other people's motivations and conduct in their personal lives to the
extent that you would try to analyze this sort of thing for any delegate
and even non-delegated positions like RM?  I find that unnecessary and
rather intrusive.  Surely, what we owe each other is ethical behavior.
What arrangements we make in our personal lives to ensure that we can
behave ethically are our own business.