Re: Proposal: Recall the Project Leader

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 01:08:17PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:

> just let me rephrase it then.

>  1. The DPL is the one that appoints the RM as per constitution

You know, this is true only in the most hypothetical sense.  Neither Colin,
nor Andi nor I, nor any of the current release assistants, were ever the
subject of a formal delegation by the DPL, any more than your typical
package maintainer is.  The release team has had the /support/ of the DPL
for as long as I've been involved in it, but we're not here as a consequence
of the DPL's approval per se.

I suppose the DPL has the authority to dismiss a release manager, but I
don't think that makes it a delegated position after the fact.

> that's a big conflict of interest. It's IMHO a major fault coming from a
> delegate (and especially the DPL) to take a role in such an
> organisation. It's just not compatible.

Um, terminology disconnect here; the DPL isn't a delegate, the DPL is the
DPL.

And if you're really claiming that no one who holds any delegated position
in Debian should be allowed to be involved in any organization that funds
Debian developers... I quite frankly find that to be an insane position to
hold.  I can only imagine it decreasing the number of people willing to
serve Debian in a delegate capacity.