Re: Proposal - Defer discussion about SC and firmware until after the Etchrelease

On Thursday 14 September 2006 13:05, Ron wrote:
> > The Debian Project resolves that:
> >
> >    (a) The inclusion in main of sourceless firmware and support in
> > Debian Installer is not a release blocker for the release of Etch.
>
> I believe I would prefer to see this read:
>
>      (a) The inclusion in Linux kernel of ...
>
> See #386361 for one example of the distinction I perceive we should
> make that is not affected by the issues the kernel is.  I have a hard
> time thinking of other examples that might warrant exemption that are
> distributed outside the kernel, but if there are, we should probably
> specify them explicitly, rather then 'open the umbrella'...

Hmm. I don't see why we should make a distinction between sourceless
firmware that is part of the upstream kernel and sourceless firmware that
comes with other packages. IMO the same criteria should be applied which
means that the firmware at least needs to be licenced properly.

After Etch such firmware should also follow the outcome of the discussion
I'm advocating.

> Other than that, I think you're getting us close to a working summary
> of reality.  :-)

Thanks :-)