Re: Proposal - Defer discussion about SC and firmware until after the Etch release

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 05:39, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:47:18AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > The project acknowledges that a lot of progress has been made with
> > regard to the removal from the distribution (main) of "software" that
> > could be considered non-free given the current wording of the Social
> > Contract. However, in some cases for valid reasons, this work is not
> > finished and
>
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I suggest striking the above phrase, which adds nothing of substance to
> the resolution.

I can live with that.

> > requiring this to be finished before the release of Etch would result
> > in a serious delay of the planned release.
> >
> > There are also indications that a significant group of people within
> > the project feels that the current Social Contract does not meet the
> > best interests of the project in that the current wording is too
> > restrictive and that a limited and conditional inclusion/support  of
> > some types of "software" should be possible. Example: support for
>
> This paragraph seems to be speculation about the intent of other people;
> I think it would be better to either leave it out, or make it a statement
> about the voters' *own* views.

No, it is intended as rationale why fundamental further discussion is
necessary after Etch. I don't want to make it the voters own view as that
would prevent people who are in favor of a restrictive policy from voting
the proposal even if they would be willing to allow further discussion.

Maybe I should rewrite the para as: