Re: The Sourceless software in the kernel source GR

Russ Allbery writes ("Re: The Sourceless software in the kernel source GR"):
> I don't really know how best to help with the underlying problem here.

Part of the problem is that there are still people who think that we
can rely on procedures to protect us absolutely from people.  This is
obviously nonsense.  A part of this is that people, including Manoj
I'm afraid, have tried to make rigid rules to answer questions of this
kind.

When I wrote these parts of the constitution it seemed obvious what
the Secretary should do: when drafting the ballot for a resulotion,
they should do their best to include what appears to the Secretary to
be the resolution text intended by the resolutions' proponents.

If it's not clear then obviously the Secretary will have to use their
judgement.  That's why we have a human being, not a robot.  And, of
course, sometimes the Secretary will make a mistake, which is no big
deal because with the current practice of posting drafts, the sponsors
of a resolution can point out the difficulty and it can be fixed.

Ian.