Re: Proposal: Source code is important for all works in Debian, and required for programmatic ones

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:07:18PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
>
> >   C. Reaffirms its continued support of users whose hardware (or
> >      software) requires works which are not freely licensed or whose
> >      source is not available by making such works available in
> >      non-free and providing project resources to the extent that
> >      Debian is capable of doing so.
>
> "to the extent that Debian is capable of doing so." What is the
> alternative to that ? not ship it ? Or ship it in main until "Debian
> is capable of doing so" ?

It was intended to be parsed as [providing project resources to the
extent that Debian is capable of doing so] to avoid requiring us to
commit resources that we aren't able to do so comfortably, and/or
distribute programs that we cannot legally distribute.

> >   D. Requests that vendors of hardware, even those whose firmware is
>
> I think "Request" is a bit strong here, i would much have prefered a
> less arrogant and will actually have more chance to be not dismissed
> out of hand by the actual hardware vendors.

I'd intended for this paragraph to be used as something that people
working with hardware vendors to freely license the source to firmware
could point to when the hardware vendors ask "Does Debian actually
want this?" I don't believe it would require Debian to send any
message to the hardware vendors, besides its presence in the
resolution.

Don Armstrong

--
Junkies were all knitted together in a loose global macrame, the
intercontinental freemasonry of narcotics.