Re: The Sourceless software in the kernel source GR

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:40:08 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:27:12PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Proponents of various various amendments to the GR should feel free
>> to send me a couple of paragraphs in HTML markup to
>> introduce/explain the resolutions they are proposing. Feel free to
>> include external links to more extensice body of supporting
>> material in the paragraphs you send me, but please keep theese
>> paragraphs short and to the point.
>>
>> I certainly don't want to include hundreds of lines of additional
>> material directly on the vote page.  Please indicate if the content
>> is preambulatory or postambulatory.
>>
>> manoj

> hi Manoj, ...

> I wonder where Frederik's proposal fits in this ?

        Since it has been decreed that the secretary has no discretion
 in putting up properly proposed and seconded text, this request is
 now moot.

        We do have an issue now with people seconding extraneous text,
 including signatures and extra material in the email; since if people
 want a secretary with no powers to decide what is and is not
 resolution text, then if person A seconds a proposal with
 accompanying matter (someone just seconded Don Armstrongs proposal,
 and did not elide the vote.d.o fragment); and person B carefully
 edits and seconds a subset of the original email, then they are not
 seconding the same sequence of bytes.

        Previously, I would have exercised judgement -- but I have
 been informed  a Debian delegate that that was gross and egregious
 abuse of my power as a secretary.

        At this point, I am unsure what to do --- technically, since
 the proposals seconded are unlikely to be identical, byte for byte,
 unless people get less sloppy about the process, a secretary without
 a brain can't count the seconds as belonging to the same proposal.

        manoj
--
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or
a dose of common sense."  -Chapman Cohen