Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 05 septembre 2006 à 19:07 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG a écrit :
> > For me the key question is whether the d-i team is actually doing the
> > work or not.  Are they?  If the answer is "yes", then I might vote for
> > a delay.  If the answer is "no", then I see no reason that a delay
> > will change things.
>
> As Joey's analysis shows, this would lead to a delay of at least 6
> months. Given that we're already frozen, I don't think this is something
> we can afford if we want etch to be consistent.

It would be more honest to recognise, accept and document the fact
that we are not able to fix this situation entirely for etch but are
continuing to do so and will probably more more into this direction
for the next release.  We should not delay etch due to this, imho.

I believe that it would be great if we could release etch without
non-free firmware blobs in main and a proper infrastructure to add
them on demand if people want this during the installing and booting.

However, if this can't be met in time, it seems honest to me to admit
this and more healthy to leasen this particular goal for this
particular release (etch) due to the late stage of the release.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Open source is important from a technical angle.             -- Linus Torvalds