Re: kernel firmwares: GR proposal

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Not for some reason, for some very obvious reasons.  They're not adequate
> as an immediate solution to this problem because separating the firmware
> from the packages that currently contain it is hard and needs development
> and because d-i currently can't (as I understand these threads) cope with
> that split.

Right.  And the problem is that the d-i team seems to say to
themselves, "as long as we never do the work, we can badger the rest
of Debian into sacrificing the Project's principles, and the work will
never be necessary."

The solution requires a little stick to go with the carrot:

"I'm sorry, but the fact that you dithered for eighteen months does
not mean the Project must now sacrifice its principles so that you can
dither some more."

Thomas