Re: Proposal - Amendment - allow hardware support from non-free into the debian system

mjr@phonecoop.coop wrote:

>> This may include proprietary kernel drivers and will exclude important
>> firmwares which are not legally modifiable. Both too much and too little
>> at the same time.
>How would you exclude proprietary kernel drivers while allowing important
>firmwares which are not legally modifiable?
Firmwares do not run on the same CPU controlled by the OS, etc. The
difference has already been discussed on this mailing list.

>Do you think that Steve Langasek's original proposal would exclude/allow
>those in that way?
It obviously did not include proprietary drivers. It did not include
more restrictively licensed firmwares either, but it was not supposed to.

>> I would otherwise support a similar amendment, but I
>> in this form I consider it harmful to our cause.
>Prove it.
I should prove that Debian distributing illegal proprietary kernel
drivers would really be a bad idea?
I have better things to do with my time.

--
ciao,
Marco