Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 12:53:50PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> There are people interested.  I think us mere mortals have been hindered
> by the slowness of the DPL and SPI on these topics.

You might like to consider replying to:

    Subject: Re: Presumably-unauthorized Open Logo use
    Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 18:30:28 +1000
    To: debian-private@lists.debian.org

then.

> We could GR it, but there doesn't seem much objection - just inaction.

When I asked in April about a week after my term began, Greg (the SPI
lawyer) replied:

    "I don't think there has been a great deal of interest in registering
     the Debian logo.  On the one hand, the open use logo is not very
     strong as a trademark, and it seems to get independently re-created
     by various third parties around the world from time to time --
     therefore it would be terribly difficult to police.  The official
     logo does not seem to be very widely used or widely recognizable."

The last mail on the spi-trademark was in May on a not-particularly
related matter.

> On the logo copyright, the DPL needs to instruct SPI to change the
> licence.

Changing the copyright license without establishing a proper trademark
would seem irresponsible and inappropriate to me.

> So, would this DPL like to be the one to take active leadership and
> fix the dumb debian logo bug?

I haven't seen any interest whatsoever in dealing with this from other
developers, so I've deprioritised it. If that changes, I'll be happy to
put it back on my list of things to deal with.

Cheers,
aj