Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 01:57:20AM +0200, p2@mind.be wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I'd actually see some restriction with regard to interoperability
> > > (i.e. some reasonably documented interface between the firmware and
> > > the driver code), but getting this right is likely not worth the
> > > effort.
> >
> > Hmm, I'm not sure what that would look like at all; as someone else noted,

That someone being me, i think i should reply.

> > one generally doesn't talk to the firmware even, one talks to the device.
> >

> That's mostly wrong. In case of the DAC960 for example the driver does
> talk to the firmware, same for the fore ATM cards or USB devices which
> have downloadable firmware.

Well, the point is the following. From the driver point of view, it speaks to
the device, with a given protocol, over a given hardware interface (pci,
random set of GPIO pins, etc).

But there is no way the device driver can make a difference between speaking
to said firmware program running on the device, or to a firmware version not
uploaded but hold in flash, or to a hardcoded non-firmware device.

Friendly,

Sven Luther