Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:00:49PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [060823 11:15]:
> > >
> > > I'd personally prefer the 4th point to read:
> > >
> > >           4. determines that for the purposes of DFSG #2, device firmware
> > >   shall also not be considered a program until it will become practical
> > >   to do so.
> >
> > I like the idea, but I think it could be better worded.
> >
> > How about:
> > 	4. Determines that as a special exception to DFSG #2, source code for
> > device firmware will not be required until we have the technical means
> > to split them out in a convenient way for our users.
>
> I'd rather suggest to give a direct hint in time. Like "until etch
> releases", so that people wanting non-free firmware have to do the
> techical stuff and not the people wanting control over what their
> computer do.

Notice that we already did say so before the sarge release, and even had a GR
about it, and look where we are today.

Should we say until etch is released, just to have to go to another
GR for etch+1 ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther