Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 03:18:04PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

Hi Steve,

I second most of the proposal, however:

[...]
> THE DEBIAN PROJECT therefore,
>
>         1. reaffirms its dedication to providing a 100% free system to our
> users according to our Social Contract and the DFSG; and
>
>         2. encourages authors of all works to make those works available not
> only under licenses that permit modification, but also in forms that make
> such modifications practical; and
>
>         3. supports the decision of the Release Team to require works such as
> images, video, and fonts to be licensed in compliance with the DFSG without
> requiring source code for these works under DFSG #2; and
>
>         4. determines that for the purposes of DFSG #2, device firmware
> shall also not be considered a program.

I'd personally prefer the 4th point to read:

          4. determines that for the purposes of DFSG #2, device firmware
  shall also not be considered a program until it will become practical
  to do so.

This would make it clear that we don't pretend to make fine-line
statements on what is a program and what is not; also, it would not rule
out the vision of some of us who'd like to see source code for most
firmware as well, maybe not in etch, or etch+1, or etch+n, but possibly
in etch+n+1.

Ciao,

Enrico