Re: Q for all candidates [was Re: Question for Anthony Towns]

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:26:01PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> > When I sent you a private mail complaining about the ad-hominem style of
> > one of your posts on -devel, you published it on your blog. Will you do
> > the same with the private mails sent you as a DPL, if you were elected ?
>
> I'd like to know the other candidates' positions on such matters.

I won't publish mails in the open that were obviously meant to be
private. As an example of not-meant-to-be-private but private mails I
would not mind to publish: I've forwarded about half a dozen user
questions sent to ftpmaster@ or jeroen@ to debian-user@l.d.o, so that
people there can help the person asking the question.

> Do you find such actions acceptable,

I find it unnecessary, and harming the trust people place in you or in
your office. Doctors have vowed to not publish/pass on information to
others, including the police, so that anyone can seek medical assistance
without needing to fear the police will get notified. Similarly, I'd
like people to be able to mail leader@ or myself personally, without
fearing that their complaints/issues are leaked.

This is the reason I will announce to d-d-a well in advance of actually
having leader@ forwarded to the whole DPL team, even though I expect of
all my DPL team members to apply similar rules to the private mails they
receive.

> and, if you believe in respecting people's privacy, at what point
> would the good of the project outweigh the privacy of an individual
> mailing you privately?

I don't think I can give a general guideline here, this needs to be seen
on a case-by-case basis. I don't rule out publishing / forwarding any
intentionally-private mail ever, but it will be a rare event. If
possible, I would strip personally-identifiable information before
forwarding too.

> Is there a distinction to be drawn between your own email address and
> leader@debian.org?

I apply above rules to all mail I receive.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl