Re: Question for Ted Walther.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:27:03PM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:

> Respectfully, dig out the information and present it, or stop claiming
> that these things are going on, you are doing nothing but harming not
> only your own reputation, but that of others of your religion, myself
> included.

so - what, exactly, is he claiming as discrimination? is it merely the
fact that some people hold and occasionally express opinions about his
(or other) religions that he does not approve of? well, tough - you have
a right to your own religion, but you DO NOT have a right to demand
that everyone feels the same respect for it that you do.

for example, i don't expect walther to have any respect for my opinion
that all religions are a form of insanity (to varying degrees depending
on the nature and fervour of belief), and i'm damned if i'm going
to perjure myself and express any respect for his religion when i
honestly believe it is dangerously insane (in his case, particularly
so - at the far end of the loony scale, combining extremist right-wing
fundamentalism, misogyny, and anti-semitism).

discrimination is quite specific - it is not simply expressing an
opinion. it is the misuse of power over another person because of some
arbitrary & irrelevant factor, like their religion, height, weight,
gender, sexual preference, appearance, political views, etc. it's hard
to see how this can possibly be a factor in debian since we're all
volunteers and nobody has any power over anyone else.

but you've got to feel sorry for walther - after all, he's a member of
that most oppressed of minorities: white male middle-class christians.
apart from 90+% of the world's wealth and power and opportunities,
they've got nothing, nothing at all.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)