Re: (For SteveM) Re: Questions for all candidates about developer behavior and abuse

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 06:53:34PM -0800, Ted Walther wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 02:00:22AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 04:53:40PM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
>>>At what point does a Debian Developer's behavior cross the line from
>>>annoying to destructive?  At what point should the Developer be
>>>removed from the project (key removed from keyring, alioth account
>>>disabled, and blacklisted from mailing lists and the bts)?  As DPL,
>>>how would you go about the process of removing a Developer from the
>>>project (both the public, official process, as well as any
>>>private/unofficial processes).
>>
>>Removal of a DD should only be a last resort for damaging behaviour.
>
>Steve, why don't you lead us out of the dark here.  Give us some
>examples of what you consider to be the most likely instances "damaging
>behavior".  Be explicit, and don't leave any details to the imagination.

Examples of damaging behaviour that I'd consider:

 * deliberately causing damage in packages (e.g. inserting a backdoor
   into installed systems, or "rm -rf /" in a postinst)
 * serious misuse of project facilities (e.g. using accounts on Debian
   servers to distribute warez or to attack other systems)
 * bringing the project into disrepute (e.g. continually engaging in
   abusive flamewars on mailing lists or elsewhere)

I can't anticipate all possible issues here - I'm not clairvoyant and
I don't pretend to be.

What about you? What would you consider as adequate grounds? No
"pussy-footing", now... :-)

"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane... Of
 course, since many of them are Australians, you can't tell." -- Linus Torvalds