Debian Backup Server (was: Questions to the candidates)

Moving this to -devel, it's off-topic for -vote; Cc to -admin.

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> wrote:

>> At some place where it can be found even if you don't want to look up a
>> month-old announcement.  What about http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi,
>> and the developers reference, in the section about "Debian machines"?
>
> Umh... <http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?host=bartok> already says

I'd rather like to see information which services on a given machine is
backed up there.

> Hmm, the developers reference is not my domain.  Please send its maintainer
> a patch, file a bug report or drop its maintainer a line.

I'll do that, once I've gathered enough information.

>> > There is technical project-internal documentation as well.
>>
>> Aha, where?
>
> It's not relevant for the end-user.
> /org/admin.debian.org/doc/backup.debian.org
> And in the da-backup package.

Which doesn't seem to be available in sid currently?

Anyway,  before submitting patches I'd like to know some more things.  I
came to them because I considered which questions I had about backup
services I used in the past, not because I think that I personally will
have these concerns with Debian backup in the near future.

- at which time of day is the backup made

- for how long are the backups kept for a given service

- what would valid reasons be for the DSA to extend the keep time for a
  given service?  Or how do you decide about this time, anyway?

- Would it, in principle, be possible to add home directories, or parts
  of them, if they provide services to the public?

- What are the criteria for getting a backup rolled out - would "I
  deleted that file that was not yet under version control" be a request
  you'd happily process, or would that cause too much workload?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)