Re: question for all candidates

* Matthew Garrett (mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk) [060310 16:58]:
> Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
> > * Matthew Garrett (mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk) [060310 16:25]:
> >> No. I reiterate things where Andreas has given misleading answers to
> >> direct questions (he repeatedly denies wanting to replace people, but
> >> attempted to get at least one person to take over elmo's position in
> >> ftp-master, for instance).
> >
> > I'm quite sure you can point out where he said that he wanted someone to
> > take over elmo's position in ftp-master.
>
> Ok. Based on what we've discussed on IRC, you'll admit that Andreas
> attempted to get at least one person to agree to take responsibility for
> elmo's role as lead ftp-master without consulting elmo first? I think
> the difference is largely semantic, but, well.

Quite interessting that you sent out that mail a few minutes after I
told you I'm going away from my computer. Well done.

Anyways, I disagree with that statement. If your cited sentence is
correct, Andreas has investigated whether someone (and you refused to
tell who, it might be even someone in the role of an ftp-master) might
be interessted in becoming lead ftp-master without asking James Troup
for permission first for that investigation. As far as I know James, it
is possible to speak with other people about solutions without offending
him.  And I can understand if Andreas makes a first research round
without asking James about each candidate first - if there seems to be a
competent and willing candidate available, there is still enough time to
discuss that with James. And it is really something quite different
whether one "attempt to get someone to take over elmo's position" (in
other words, hijack that), or whether he investigates whether there is
someone else who is both competent and interessted, and then try to get
a common agreement.

Oh, BTW, I hope I didn't do anything equally wrong for you when I talked
to Anthony today about stable point releases on an IRC channel where
James wasn't present. I know that James doesn't really mind, but you
might.

Cheers,
Andi
--