Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 08:14:21AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > Uh, what the hell?
> You have four people asking basically the same question, and you
> wonder about this?

Yes, because _all_ of them leap to the conclusion that I'm trying to delay
something, when I'm not.

> > I sent the mail requesting input and advising the relevant teams of the
> > changes on the 22nd of Feb to make sure that it _wouldn't_ delay the
> > update that Joey had previously indicated would be coming at the end of
> > Feb or early March.
> Why did you decide not to give Joey the go-ahead for 3.1r2?

Huh? I haven't decided anything. At present, as announced [0], we're
about to flick the switch on the the mirror split, which is what's taking
my focus.

> > This is why I hate trying to talk about things on Debian lists, for
> > reference.
> For reference, Debian is a distributed project. Mailing lists are our
> main means of communication. This discussion is far away from a flame
> war and it would surely pass any sane code of conduct anybody could
> impose on us without half of the project retiring.

What discussion, exactly? There's a bunch of people telling me how I'm
blocking the process and deliberately delaying point releases, Joey's
demanding to be made an ftpmaster, and over what? A single mail that
didn't get a reply until Joey followed up to it a month later?

> If this discussion places an unbearable burden on you, why are you
> running for a job that does require communication, communication, and
> communication instead of finding a position in Debian where you can do
> things where you can excel at, like technical and conceptional stuff,
> without being bothered by those pesky little colleagues who require
> you to actually report about your doings?

Where do you get this stuff? I've been reporting on what I've been doing
in, afaik, more detail than anyone else in the project for the past few
months. See, for instance:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/02/msg00007.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/01/msg00011.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/01/msg00007.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/01/msg00004.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/12/msg00014.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/09/msg00002.html

and

    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2006/02/28#2006-02-28-debiantech
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2006/02/20#2006-02-20-debbugs-bzr
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/12/21#2005-12-21-newamber
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/12/12#2005-12-12-impl1
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/12/11#2005-12-11-waiting-on-dsa
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/12/06#2005-12-06-detailed-sec-plan
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/11/26#2005-11-26-queuebuild
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/11/26#2005-11-26-niv2
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/11/17#2005-11-17-q-unapproved
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/11/16#2005-11-16-dak
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/11/06#2005-11-06-memoryleaks
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/10/26#2005-10-26-bugfixing
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/10/16#2005-10-16-tiffani
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/10/10#2005-10-10-usercategories
    http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2005/09/23#2005-09-23-debiantech

And yes, doing all that, and then getting told that I should "instead
[find] a position in Debian where [I] can do things [...] without being
bothered by those pesky little colleagues who require you to actually
report about your doing" remains exactly what I hate about Debian lists.

It's also why I don't think focussing on "reports" or "more communication"
per se is worth the trouble: I've never once seen it resolve the
underlying complaints.

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/02/msg00007.html