Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

[M-F-T set appropriately]

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 12:18:32AM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:02:20PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> >> Though Martin 'Joey' Schulze as stable release manager presents lists of
> >> packages that are accepted into the next stable point release on a
> >> regular basis, they normally are not released "roughly two months after
> >> the last update" (which is the official plan).

> >> Do you know why this doesn't work as planned? What would you do to
> >> make regular point releases possible?
> > I think the first thing to note is that irregular point releases aren't
> > a big deal -- since they are almost solely security updates that are
> > already available via security.debian.org, and TTBOMK there haven't
> > been any installer updates to either woody or sarge.

> They're not really important as technical upgrade, but they give the
> impression that Debian releases something - after our last painful
> release cycle, many people have decided not to use Debian because of our
> (seemingly) slow development. Stable point releases are a nice touch to
> get a bit of trust back.

Huh?  We had point releases on a more or less regular basis throughout
sarge's release cycle.  Why would the existence of sarge point releases
inspire confidence in our release cycle?  Why *should* it inspire
confidence?  The two processes are almost entirely unconnected.