Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 01:29:30AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 04:10:29PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > >   Feb  6th, Joey mails indicating he'd like to release the update
> > >             at the end of Feb (27th/28th) or a little bit later at
> > >             the end of February. "let me know if this is ok for
> > >             you - or if this is not ok for you"

> > I note that it took you 16 days to reply,
>
> It wasn't a reply to Joey's mail, which I hadn't thought had needed a
> reply.

<expletive>. You have even _QUOTED_ the direct question asked by Joey.
Will you think questions as "not needing a reply" as a DPL as well?

> > and that you seem to want to
> > build a dependency between a change which is not strictly needed to
> > make a point release (if it were needed, why was it possible to
> > release 3.1r1?) and 3.1r2. May I ask why?
>
> The dependency is the other way -- that change needs to happen immediately
> after a stable update, and this is the first one that's suitable. The
> reason I think it's a good idea is that it means most of the work can be
> done by the stable release manager directly during the months in between
> updates, rather than as part of the update itself.

Did you talk to the stable release manager before trying to reduce his
work load?

> Raphael's guess at why is correct -- so that proposed-updates really doesn't
> have anything the SRM would reject.

Ok, then the logical way would be to do the point release whenever the
SRM says "ready, do it", and to implement the new queue scheme with
the first point release after the new infrastructure getting ready.

Debian has had its fair share of waiting due to new infrastructure.

Greetings
Marc